Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Blogging the process

Hard to believe it's been so long since I posted.  I'm trying to get bird blocks made now for a swap with the Mary Lou Weidman yahoo group.  I don't think I ever posted my sock blocks.


Sock blocks were easier to make than properly fitting knit socks.  These came out a little bigger.  Washing in hot water and putting them in the dryer did nothing to change the size.  Why is it when they are a perfect size, an accidental trip in the washer and dryer makes them the size fit for a toddler.  And who knew that one was supposed to make a 6X6" swatch to check gauge?!  At least that's the recommendation in my book.  The more socks I make the more I realize that I was rather lucky my first couple of pairs fit so well.  None have fit as well since!  
 I thought I'd try a "hoochy" toucan bird, but since the toucan body is black and the background for our bird blocks is supposed to be black, that's not going to work.
Waiting for spring to really "set."  Unlikely as it seems, it snowed sporadically on Sunday, and Monday and Tuesday mornings were quite chilly at 18 degrees.

1 comment:

Pat/SWquilter said...

The birds are cute - I like them better than the socks!