Thursday, October 15, 2009

Houston International Quilt Festival

My intent in going to Galveston camping was to be able to attend the Houston quilt show. It was earlier this year, and we really enjoyed it. I suggested we pack a lunch since my experience at the Paducah quilt show led me to think that mostly there would be overpriced concessions with little variety except for hamburgers and the like. Besides, we had been eating out with a quality I'd quickly become accustomed to. I wasn't sorry. We lucked out and were diverted to parking at the Toyota Center since all the $15-20 parking lots closer to the venue were full. Lucky because we parked with overhead cover for $2 all day! We had to walk a bit, but even the close parking required a bit of a walk.

Thanks to drugs, I was able to walk all day for the show. The convention center was huge, and the quilt displays weren't crowded. There was ample room to see the quilts and photograph the ones that allowed it. It was wonderful to see "live" works such as Domestic Goddess by Pamela Allen.

The vendor mall was packed. I was saving my money to get Edgerider wheels for my Gammill, but nobody had any that I could bring home with me! I only bought a few things, a cut of fabric, some felted wool balls, and a couple of cones of Marathon thread which I hope my machine will find agreeable!

We refortified ourselves with Starbucks coffee and dessert upstairs from the quilt show for the drive back to Galveston. Houston is traffic, traffic, all day, all the time, but much more manageable without pulling a camping trailer.

No comments: