Sunday, September 19, 2010

When I'm not quilting...


Fall is in the air, and I'm ready for winter with all my canning done...unless of course I come across any great deals on more produce.  We brought back apples, pears, and plums from our trip to Colorado.  Our old neighbors have an orchard and it was a good year.  Then last Thursday we picked peaches in Embudo.  I love them fresh, but canned, not so much.  Dale eats all this fruit in the course of a year with his hot cereal--which I'm also not fond of.  

Yesterday was our longarm meeting.  I took an "emapdão," the large counterpart of "empadinha," small, muffin sized savory pies stuffed with chicken or shrimp found in just about every corner bar in Brazil.  I got this recipe from a friend's daughter and it's become a family favorite, especially with my son-in-law, who doesn't mind that I hide vegetables in the filling. 

Empada Pie Crust
3 cups flour 
7 oz. butter cut into pats (about 2 sticks)
8 teaspoons olive oil
1 egg 
salt to taste

Cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in beaten egg with olive oil with fork until mixture holds together, then mix with hands, until you can form a ball.  Use more flour if too moist, or more olive oil if too dry to hold together.  Let dough rest in refrigerator.

Divide in half.  Press half evenly into pie plate.  Fill with desired filling.  This is great for leftover chicken, vegetables, or a traditional Brazilian cream of shrimp and hearts of palm.  Olives are also included.

Roll out remaining dough between two sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap.  If you roll it out on a counter, it's impossible to lift off and place on the pie without it falling apart.  Bake in 350-375 degree oven until golden brown, about an hour.  (In Brazil they brush a beaten egg yolk over the top, but I figure the recipe is rich enough without it.)
 

This is the bakery within walking distance of our friend Cybelle's house.  You can get "empadinhas"  and all manner of treats, sweet and savory.  Food is cheap, delicious, and plentiful and cooking isn't a necessity.

No comments: