Friday, February 25, 2011

Back from retreat

Had a great time in AZ at the annual quilting retreat.  I won! I won!  My postcard won first place in the postcard challenge--the theme was Home, Sweet, Home, and could mean whatever home meant to you.  For me it was "enchanting" New Mexico skies with quilts and clothes on the line and cranes (which I drew in with marker) flying by.


I was inspired by the sky fabric sent to me by Pat since I was at Jackie's and woefully lacking any scraps or anything I could create a postcard with.  I already spent my winning gift certificate on (of course) fabric from Keepsake Quilting! 

I had to cancel my flight home and have Dale pick me up.  I had way too much stuff even with Southwest's generous two 50 lb. suitcase limit.  Talk about generosity...my friends at retreat sent me home with twelve quilt tops, a finished quilt, and lots of blocks and miscellaneous parts that will become quilts.
 

I found some binding in the stuff I brought home which worked perfectly for a quilt I had quilted before I left for donation.  I will be dropping off three quilts to Dr. Kaufman today, and then will be busy with my favorite part of the process, quilting and binding all those tops.  

Of course, because I was less than productive during the retreat, I had to work all day yesterday to get my sock swap blocks done.  They are going out in today's mail, and I hope they meet the criteria for the Mary Lou Weidman's swap, since this is the first liberated kind of block swap I've been in.  And as you can see, mine are very liberated! Looking forward to having a variety of these blocks!
 

4 comments:

Pat/SWquilter said...

The socks look great - surely they will be fine. After all, the "rules" sounded pretty liberated as well.

sophie said...

I love your postcard.

Sandi said...

great looking socks! wish I was in your group. congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Your postcard award was well earned--you are so creative!! I like your socks, too!