I made the first bear out of chenille from an old bedspread. I wasn't really in love with it, but went ahead and finished it, but not before cutting out another from felted wool. I think that one is going to have more body, but I will finish both of them and let Jackie decide which fabric she'd like for a second bear.
I didn't really read the pattern directions closely--just followed the pictures and sewed the back halves together the first time...not the way to do it. You sew a back and front together, at the side seams then sew on the arms and legs on each half before closing it all the way around except for a small opening to turn it right side out, then stuff, and close all the openings that you stuff through. I've made a number of these before--used to dress them with Route 66 tapestry fabric vests and sell them at the motel.