Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Cooler temps

The temperatures have really dropped.  A few flakes fell on my way to shopping in Albuquerque yesterday, but today it is clear and sunny, albeit cold.  Good temperatures for spending most of the day cooking and dealing with all the groceries.  I baked muffins early, made a big pot of butternut squash soup, and another of red sauce.  I'm anticipating having company to help me eat the stuff that Dale can't.


I finished the baby quilt for my daughter's friend.  It's for a girl, though she chose the colors. I loaded it the standard way...and then realized that it made more sense to load it sideways in order to do the design I had decided on.  I decided it was worth it to take it off, and load it so I could do the design lengthwise on the quilt, horizontally on the table.  Thanks to Shelley for featuring a similar quilt on her blog.  It's one of the hardest things for me to do--come up with a viable all over quilting design.  

 I tried a new pantograph on this donation quilt, which is also from Shelley.  It's a dense design, but flows nicely.  I must admit I had my doubts about Shelley's claim that the foundation tissue paper that she had used would disappear in the wash, but I quilted without removing it.  Like magic it did disappear in the wash! 



Okay, back to the kitchen.  I still need to cook dinner and Dale is out of his cookies.  Baking those will warm up the house.

2 comments:

Misha said...

Great job, both the custom/freehand job AND the cool new panto!

Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

What a great job you did on both quilts! I look at your pantographs and think that I could do that too ...but it's such a PITA to get to the back of my machine.

I'm so glad that tissue paper dissolved for you too! I would have been very embarrassed if it was simply an anomaly on my part. :-) I really ought to make a tutorial on that cuz using tissue paper as a foundation is awesome.

That New Wave pattern is great, isn't it? I also loaded my version sideways; as you discovered, it's easier quilting that way.