Tuesday, October 25, 2005

20 Things About Me

1. I was born in Brazil of Brazilian parents, and am still a Brazilian citizen, even though I am married to an American, have lived here since I was 7 (45 years--you do the math), and served in the U.S. Army. I keep it as an option in case I/we decide to retire there. My two daughters have a choice of citizenship should they ever decide to exercise it.

2. I don't particularly like the limelight that owning a historic motel has put me in. I prefer anonymity.

3. I'd like to be forced into early retirement. If it doesn't happen soon, it won't be early!

4. My husband and I have birthdays in February 3 days apart, and are both Aquarians, only I'm two years older. I was into younger men way before it was fashionable.

5. I have two daughters different as night and day and it's hard to believe they have the same parents.

6. My mom passed away in 2001, and I can't believe it's been 4 years already. My dad moved back to Brazil, and for a while I felt like an orphan.

7. My mom was an amazing woman coming to this country without speaking English and providing for me as a live-in housekeeper.

8. I am my father's only daughter, my mother's only child, and grew up as an only child. You draw your own conclusions. My daughters' sibling rivalry and fighting about sent me over the edge.

9. I have a best friend that I've known for 20+ years. First I moved away from her in CO to NM, and then she moved to HI! I believe in quality versus quantity.

10. I actually had my 15 minutes of fame early on. My 6th grade Spanish class was featured in a movie made for the president on the status of foreign language study. I had a starring role, but kept having to repeat my lines because every time I said them, a plane flew over, or there was some other noise.

11. I lived in Beverly Hills for a few years, long before everyone in the country knew that zip code.

12. I was also a "Valley Girl" like long before it meant anything.

13. When my best friend said she was taking a quilting class (see #9 above) I told her I had absolutely no interest in learning to quilt. She throws that back at me on a regular basis, and makes me add up how many quilts I've made.

14. I've tried not to say never anymore, since you don't know what paths your life will take. My younger daughter made me eat a lot of my words.

15. I sucked my thumb until I was 28 more or less, and don't know why I stopped. (It runs in my mother's family, and I have an older cousin that I don't know if she ever quit.)

16. I love to cook, and unfortunately for my waistline, to eat as well!

17. I worked for 20+ years as an operating room technician.

18. Always wanted to live on a "farm," and had 5 acres, goats, chickens, and raised a few pigs when we lived in CO and my kids were little. It was a good life. I'd do it again.

19. I'm happy and generally like my life. Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get.

20. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Okay, I tag someone else on the Artist's Way ring...Pat, Gemia, anyone??

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Hi there! I'm the same age as the number of years you've been here. My father immigrated from Ireland as a young man. He passed away when I was in high school. My husband and I do not have children. We do have 2 dogs and 2 cats. We are both suckers for anything with four legs and a tail. I've known my best friend since I was 5. As a matter of fact, I'm going down to visit her next week. My other best friend I've known for a dozen years. And I love what you said: Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get. That is so true.