Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lemons, lemonade and such...

We recently stopped at Schwebach Farms in Moriarty on the way home and I bought a buttercup squash.  Had never tried it before, and it looked appropriately like fall with bumpy outer skin and witche's moles here and there.  I planned to make a squash and goat cheese filling for tortellini.

Well, the best laid plans.  After I roasted the squash and mixed it with the goat cheese, it was a bit too watery, and would just squeeze out of the tortellini as I tried to fold them in the appropriate shape.  I decided to abandon the squash and just stuff my torts with plain goat cheese.  We had them in a thin chicken broth with a few slivered vegetables, and it was yummy.

The next day I looked for some yeast bread recipes featuring squash and found this one.  I think this may be one of the most delicious yeast breads I've ever made!!  What a wonderful way to use up the squash, and I'm sure the bit of goat cheese that I had mixed with it didn't hurt the bread any.  I froze a couple of loaves to have when Pat is here.

 I may get squash to just use in breadmaking now!  Looking forward to a week of sewing (and eating) when Pat's here.

No comments: