Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Bake something!

Like Pat, I connected with Chapter 6. It seems that up until Chapter 5, I have been going through the motions with the exercises, but haven't really felt like I was accomplishing very much. Now I feel like it has more meaning for me. Funny how differently it goes for each of us. I suspect that we're all in different places in our lives, and perhaps we can only absorb a certain amount of it. It would explain why people seem able to do the work more than once.

Since New Mexico is being gripped by the extreme cold temperatures usually reserved for more northern climates, I thought I'd do Task #4 and bake something. I decided on lasagne, making the noodles out of the fresh spinach I had bought yesterday. I decided it was a very holiday dish...green noodles with red sauce, and white cheese! If that isn't a bit of synchronicity... I don't know but I think a lot of the cooking I do is capital-A art. Cooking has been a creative outlet for me when I didn't have time for other expressions of creativity. We always had to eat! Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Pat/SWquilter said...

I will testify that cooking is capital-A art for you - you're a fabulous cook! The lasagna sounds wonderful -- wish I was there!

Pat/SWquilter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pat/SWquilter said...

Jeez, I repeated myself somehow - can you delete one of them?!

Jules said...

I was thinking bake something meant sweet and sugary and bad for you. But spinach pasta, that sounds really great. I have never made pasta. Is it hard to do?

Hilda said...

Jules, pasta isn't all that difficult to make, basically flour and a liquid which can be in the form of eggs, spinach, or water. A machine makes the chore much easier, and I even found a manual machine at Goodwill--it was missing the C clamp to attach it to a table or countertop which was easily replaced. I then gave it to my daughter. I also bought an electric machine which allows you to make tubular pasta like rigatoni, but I prefer the interaction with the manual machine much better, though more recently arthritis in my hands may make me opt for electric.

sophie said...

I LOVE how you creatively (!) interpreted "baking" ... and I may well run with the concept. I really like the ARTFUL lasagna-noodles-in-progress photo, too. With yummy lasagna as a result, sounds like a perfectly executed exercise to me.

Rian said...

Oh, WOW, look at those green noodles--awesome. I'm ashamed to say I have one of those gadgets and only used it once. I made ravioli. Smoked salmon, if I recall correctly. I put the ravs on the counter to dry, and laid a towel on top of them. Jim came by to look something up in the huge Los Angeles telephone directory and you can guess what happened to the poor little raviolis under the towel...