Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What I did in Phoenix...

I had a wonderful time in Phoenix at retreat again this year, although my knee was less than cooperative.  I usually don't get a whole lot of sewing done, preferring to socialize more than sew.  I also did some swimming and soaking in the hot tub.  

I did finish my sweatshirt jacket, and Dale was good enough to put it on after I got home so I could get pictures of it.  I put a band of black fabric across the bottom to give it some additional length.  
 
My first shopping spree was Savers which is conveniently located to the hotel.  I did find a great king size 100% cotton sheet, along with some black fabric that will make a good backing.  It was priced $1.99, and I also found five yards of black flannel which had no price tag, and the cashier rung it up for $1.99 as well.  Woo-hoo!  


My next shopping was at IKEA!  They had this canvas sturdy fabric with graphic apples--99 cents/yard.  I bought five yards.  I thought I'd make a picnic quilt, but then decided it would also be great to cover my ironing board as well.  I also couldn't resist this wonderful graphic batik with circles and koi...five and a half yards for $20!  Maybe I can talk daughter Jackie into it for the grandsons' bed quilts.  If not I like it well enough for a quilt for me!


Then I hit the jackpot.  Tove who is my birthday twin--same day and same year--took me shopping to SAS.  I did pretty well last year at the SAS store near Pat's place.  Tove took me to the store in Tempe, since she knew they had gotten a new shipment. 
 I now have a Kaffe Fassett stash along with some more batiks to add to my collection.  I enjoyed getting it all washed and ironing it all, fondling each piece as I went along!  I got it all for $3.99/yd.  A couple of the batiks are extra wide--backings!! 
 I'm getting my sewing room back in order so I can get back to quilting.  I came home with an abundance of tops for Dr. Kaufman thanks to all my generous friends at retreat.  They'll keep me out of trouble for a long while.  Dale replaced the original recessed fixture in my sewing room with this fixture.  Why I didn't think to have him do this a long time ago, I don't know, but we now have some great LED bulbs in it as well.  I like good lighting.
  

2 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

Hey girl it's me Sandy. WOW you did some great shopping. Love your jacket. Thanks for all your help with my mother. Take care of your knee too. Miss you guys.

Patti_in_PA said...

I think you won the Retreat jackpot, Hilda!